Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday's Music Moves Me

So it's Monday again and that means its time to start our week with some music that truly moves us.  Just recently I was at a dinner put on by Girl Guides of Canada and after dinner they had dancing.  The DJ wasn't the greatest and at one point you could hear a voice call out "Play some Rock & Roll"!

The problem? He wasn't playing any "A" Songs.

As a DJ that was one thing that I was taught those timeless songs that can get a room dancing. Next time the wedding dance floor, or party just isn't shaking its time to bring these classics out!



Yes that's Tom Cruise dancing to Bob Seger's Old Time Rock and Roll (1978) featured in the 1983 movie Risky Business.  Another song from a movie soundtrack always sure to get your feet moving featuring a different actor of the 80's Kevin Bacon and Footloose (1984).



The next song Some Kind of Wonderful (1974) surprisingly not on the soundtrack for the 1987 John Hughes movie of the same name. This song by Grand Funk Railroad is a cover to the original by Soul Brothers Six and not related to that other song of the same name written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King (and performed by artists including the Drifters, Michael Buble, and Marvin Gaye) or that third song of the same name by Canadian band Sky (1998)



Finally we end with another song with a movie named after it to keep with the pattern here.  Sweet Home Alabama (1974) by Southern Rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. None of the band members are from Alabama. "Sweet Home Alabama" was written as an answer to two songs, "Southern Man" and "Alabama" by Neil Young, which dealt with themes of racism and slavery in the American South. The song also features in the 2002 Reese Witherspoon movie of the same name.


 

Thanks for dancing along to this week's picks. Time to participate! I am eager for you to join in Monday's Music Moves Me. I was chosen as Spotlight Dancer to pick next week's theme. Next Monday we'll look at Valentines Day Music. I want to hear your picks but I challenge you to NOT use a song with Love in the title their are so many .



Rules:
1.  You Tube,  lock & load! 
2. Grab "Monday's Music Moves Me" Button.
3.  SIGN LINKY, Follow everyone, & leave a Rockin' comment!

12 comments:

  1. Can't resist...toes tapping...feet moving...MUST DANCE.
    and there went the day :)
    congrats on spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,my gosh all these songs get you up and moving and I love that scene with Tom Cruise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I know ALL of these songs for a change! :) And you're definitely correct; they're ALL classics that can get a room jumpin'!!

    You'd make a fabulous DJ ^.^

    Thanks for sharing and have a musical week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you are rocking over here!!! I love your selections. I'm bending myself in pretzels over footloose! One of my fave songs eva!

    Thank you!

    Have a fun week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh congrats on being featured :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I'm so late!!! CONGRATS ON BEING OUR SPOTLIGHT DANCER OF THE DAY! WOOOOOO YOU ROCK, DUDE!!! Luvin' Tom Cruise in his boxers (hehehe). Now that's a foot stomper!!! Footloose -- ahhhhhhhhh now those were the days!!! Lots of memories there! Dang man, you sure know how to pick em'!!! Some kind of wonderful... oh the harmonies we use to do to that on the street corner with my buds!!! Hubby still does that one in the band as they do Sweet Home Alabama!! What an intricate song to play on the guitar, but dynamite song to ROCK TOO! GREAT PICKINS' there my friend! YOU ROCK! Have a musiclicious week!!!! CONGRATS & get me that theme you'd like as soon as you can. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on being featured. I love your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well they got me moving LOL

    Congrats on Spotlight Dancer ;-)

    Have a musiclicious week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree, using these songs can make or break a DJ. You just HAVE to play these songs! Congrats on being picked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dancing a bit late in the week, but you know how life goes at times. Anyhow....wow, Tom Cruise is so young in Risky Business! I just loved all of your oldie tunes you put this week. Thanks for the flashback on Monday's Music Moves Me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tunes picked here! I love Bob Seager! Congratulations on being Spotlight Dancer. Wow, great theme you chose for us.

    I am running songs through my head right now!

    Happy Saturday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I don't think I have one single DJ listed on my blog roll. So I am adding you. Besides you knew who Leonard Cohen was and you liked him too!

    I love him and already have one of his tunes picked out for this week's theme! :-)

    ReplyDelete