Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday Thirteen: 13 Books I Want To Read



 1.) Start Where You Are, by Chris Garnder: This book is by the man who inspired the movie The Pursuit of Happiness. The title really sounds appealing  as I often have trouble knowing where to begin. Where should I start organizing? Where should I start in my goals? How do I get my life on track?

2.) Conversations With God, by Neale Donald Walsch: If you were to talk to God what would you say. This is a story and dialogue between one man and God. I have seen the movie, but I know the book is quite a different experience.



3.) Andy Kaufman Revealed, by Bob Zmuda: Andy's best friend Bob Zmuda's tells of his life with Andy. It is a glimpse into the life of an entertainer who was innovative and ahead of his time. Andy was good at illusion. You never knew for sure what was real and what was not but you were emotionally moved by his performance.

4.) Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill: Regarded as one of the best books of success and I still have not read it. This is the one book in business that keeps coming up and recommended as an addition to any sucess library.

5.) Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin: I started reading this book but let family borrow it before I was done. I still want to finish it. Real life stories are in here of the authors attempt to bring more Happiness into her life. It has chapters on Parenting which looked interesting (and I am not even a parent) as well as other areas of ones life. Its Worth a look.

6.) Savor, by Thich Nhat Hanh and Dr Lilian Cheung: This book is more than its nutritional value. It also covers mindfulness while eating. It seems to be about taking the time to enjoy your food and the experience and being more in touch to your bodies needs.

7.) What Would Buddah Do?, by Franz Metcalf: What a great question! What would he do if his child misbehaves, or if he is stuck in traffic? These day to day things (and more) are covered in this book I saw at Green Earth once. I always seek to emulate the great wise ones and so insight such as this seemed quite interesting.


8.) Alter This!: Radical Ideas For Transforming Books Into Art, by Alena Hennessy Bowers: I love the idea of Altered Books and Art Journalling. I have one book about this exciting crafting hobby and its something I want to work on and develop more.


9.) A Complete Guide to Faeries & Magical Beings, by Cassandra Eason: I was able to browse this book and it looked to be a very detailed encyclopedia of Fae Lore. There are several types of these books out there but this is the best one I have seen. I have not read through it but from what I have seen it looks to be very extensive.

10.) Wizard of Oz Series, L Frank Baum: Not just the one book but all of them seem to be an interesting read as you don't see or hear about them so much. I love owning older copies of books with their antique old look to them. It adds e`xtra personality and age to a library.

11.) SAS Survival Handbook, by John Wiseman: The definitive guide to surviving is something I have looked over but not really read. I find that book to be the most value with lots of information. First Aid, Tracking, Shelters, all sorts of climates are covered int his book written by a soldier in the Special Air Service (SAS)

12.) A Year of Living Generously, by Lawence Scanlan: The author takes a journey answering the question does volunterring really make a differnece. Its a global voyage from Africa to New Orleans after Katrina and Canada (possibly elsewhere) selecting twelve different charitable organizations and spent a month in each. The idea sounds very interesting and I look forward to being able to read about it.


13.) Maus,: A Survivors Tale, by Art Spiegelman: Yes its a Graphic Novel (Comic Book) widely regarded as one of the best stories told in this medium which is usually known for superheroes. It is the story of Vladek Spiegelman, survivor of the Holocaust told in a cartoon-like format with cats as Nazis and the Jews as mice.



”thursday-13″



1. First list item starts here…



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!

Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

3 comments:

  1. I read the Happiness Project and enjoyed it very much. I'm now going to put the Andy Kaufman book on my library holds list - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think mom is actually reading Happiness Project, ask for it back.

    I've heard great things about Maus from my fellow book bloggers but I wouldn't read a graphic novel. I'm sure you'd enjoy it though. The first two in your list sound interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started browsing through "Maus" at Barnes and Noble one night. It certainly looks very creative.

    http://www.theliterarylioness.com

    Hope you write more posts soon!

    ReplyDelete